Wednesday, September 01, 2010

For V, who never lies.

I don't know if I have a stand on liars. I don't think I like being lied to, but there are some truths I'd rather not know. And do I lie? Yes. Unfortunately, I do. Do I believe an older person, a mentor, when they say they do not? No. I believe everyone lies. The extent is different, of course. The reasons are different.
Is it okay to lie to protect? I think I believe it is. If the sole result of that lie will be protecting another person, then yes, it's okay. But when we protect, we also cause ignorance. We keep people in the dark. We can't be sure that our lie didn't cause them to take or un-take a decision. There's always that risk.
I don't hate liars. I understand them. It scares me to admit that. Makes me seem wrong. My understanding of why people lie is mostly because they are afraid. Afraid of reactions to the truth. Afraid that the truth will get them in trouble, the truth will bore an audience, the truth will make them seem dull and irrelevant. And then there are lies without reason. Compulsive lies, made up to fill silences, those I do not understand.

He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight. Psalms. 

No comments: